Sunday, July 31, 2011

Que Bizarro

Something very strange happened to me the other day...

I had explained to my host mother that I would be learning a local language and that it would probably be the one she speaks (Changana). So that evening she began to teach me some simple greetings. Curious and eager to learn more, I ask my mae if Changana was a written language? She replied "sim" and sent my little sister into her room to get her bible written completely in the local language.

My sister and I both attempted (I say we both because she understands and speaks a little but cannot read it) to decipher the words from a passage that I was able to figure was located in the book of Timothy.

Obviously, I could kind of sort of read and pronounce the words on the page but couldn't understand them. My neighbor (who is also one of my favorite people in Namaacha--affectionately called "Vovo" or grandmother in Changana) had me read the words to her, the she translated it into Portuguese and I was able to understand it in English!!

It was such and awakening experience for me. I was so impressed with myself lol.

**OK so it wasn't really that bizarre, but at that instant I did have goosebumps. Another reminder of how blessed I am...

Gracas a Deus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment