Monday, November 14, 2011

Five Things: I miss from Home (Vol. 2, Ed. 1)

#1. Dryer sheets- (weird I know) I really miss having clean smelling, soft clothes. It's definitely something I took for granted in the States.

#2. "Sleeping In"-It is really impossible for me to sleep  past 6:30, 7am at the latest! I guess it doesn't matter really considering the fact that I am usually in bed by 9pm most nights. Even on weekends!!

#3. Indoor plumbing-(obviously right?) or more specifically indoor bathrooms. I have graduated from my Xi-XI bucket upon arriving at site and now make at least one nightly trek all the way outside to the latrine, where I proceed to squat over a cement hole...you can imagine how difficult this is during times of tummy trouble or drowsiness. Needless to say I've never miss an Amerian Standard throne so much!

#4. Driving- aside from being able to go wherever I want, whenever I want, I really miss traveling comfortably. Whether that be while driving or riding with someone else-or even (my mother won't believe i'm saying this) using public transportation in the States. Taking chapas (the Mozambican equivalent of a bus, which more accurately resemble NYC dollar vans) is dangerous, smelly (deodorant just aint a priority here) and crowded. Riding in the back of Pick-ups can be fun but isn't really that comfortable either. I really also truly miss taking road trips or just cruising around town singing along with the radio as the top of my lungs.

#5. Getting "Gussied Up"- I think of all the things I miss most about home, I miss getting dressed up and going out. I used to take great pride and pleasure in painting my face, doucing on perfume and getting all decked out and looking (and feeling) pretty. I miss lipgloss, smoky eyes, high heels, short skirts and sexy tops. I miss going out to clubs with my girls, going to the movies with friends and having cocktails and lavish meals with my mother and her friends. I have already planned to use a considerable (well maybe not a huge amount) amount of my readjustment allowance to revamp, replenish and restock my wardrobe and train case.

No comments:

Post a Comment