Sunday, July 31, 2011

5 Words I NEVER Used Before Coming to Mozambique

#1 "Chega"- the Portuguese words for "enough". In the States I could never get enough and I could always have more, but here I recognize the scarcity of things so I rarely take a second helping and I try to conserve as many resources (i.e. water) as possible.

#2 "Xi-Xi"-loosely translated, it means "pee-pee". Let me just say that everything in my life is scheduled around my bladder these days. I have to make sure I know where the bathroom is at all time and you could almost set you clock by the frequent trips to my balde during the course of EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!

....which brings me to my next WINUBCM...

#3 LARIUM-for the life of me, I will never understand  why they (PC chefes) would put us on a long-term (meaning the whole 2+ years) Malaria prophylaxis whose side effects not only include increased/frequent urination, but also Hallucinations and Nightmares!!!!

                                                                But I Digress
#4 "Bom Dia" (and it's alternates depending on time of day)-I never really used to say "good morning, afternoon or night" to people in the states. People are usually so consumed with their own lives, ipods, blackberries, whaterver that they don't really ever recognize the existence of other people. Here in Mocambique people (criancas -children- especially LOL) get offended if you don't comprimentar-the verb to greet- them when you see them. It goes deep too!! Mocambicanos want to know how you are feeling, and how your day is going, where you are walking to--all with in the span of a 5 second cursory interaction in the rua-street-. Formality is very important here.

#5 "Gato Preto"- it's a brand of Peanut Butter imported from South Africa and it is DELICIOUS!! I never realized how much I liked peanut butter until I came to Africa. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite foods. It could just be because it's a reminder of home, but Black Cat is probably the best manteiga de amendoim I've ever had.

**Update**
OMG I just discovered that they have the crunchy kind too!!! **BOUGHT SOME***

No comments:

Post a Comment