Sunday, July 31, 2011

Preservatives Added?

One day I was sitting at lunch with my host mom quietly enjoying a heaping helping of spaghetti and chicken when suddenly my mae turns to me and asks "usam preservativos nos Estados Unidos?" (Do they use preservatives in the US?).

Believing that I had understood her question correctly-and given the fact that we were eating- I confidently responded "sim, em comida" (Yes, in food). Mae gave me the most puzzling look, shook her head in disagreement and repeated her question. This time I responded "sim, algum pessoas usa preservativos em comida" (Yes, some people use preservatives in food)--rephrasing my answer thinking maybe I had said the wrong thing before.

Finally realizing that I did not understand what she was saying she sent my sister into her room to grab a pamphlet about safe-sex and preventing HIV. As I began to read, my eyes grazed over the phrase "usa preservativos" attached to an illustration of a condom. Completely shocked and frankly a little embarrassed at my poor comprehension, I exclaimed "Oh condoms?!" Minha mae simply nodded her head and said "sim" in an almost exasperated tone, as if to say "finally!" LOL

I went on to explain that yes, we do in fact use condoms in the States and that "preservatives" are put into food to keep it from going bad. After that she and I carried on a good, allbeit basic, conversation about the use of preservativos to prevent HIV and other STDs. I ever found out that the local Catholic congregation approved and even promoted the used of condoms for safe-sex.

                              ~Ahh the adventures in learning a foreign langugae LOL~

Ate Logo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment