Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reflection 13/06/2011

Today (Monday, June 13th or Segunda-feira, treze de Junho as we say in Portuguese) marks the beginning of my second week of Pre-Service Training and my ninth day in Namaacha.

I'm enjoying my time here and am learning much, but there have been and are definitely some tough times. I spoke with my mother and twin brother on the phone last night it instantly made me sad. I was happy to hear their voices, but it made the separation even that much more difficult. All I can do is try to keep in mind that I chose this for myself and I have to constantly remind myself that after these three months--and the 24 that follow that I will be so enriched.

Sitting outside, as I write this, admiring the beautiful scenery I can't help but feel at one with the world, myself and this task I have taken on...

Remembering to be flexible seems to be a recurring theme in my life. I must constantly remind myself that I am not at home and I can't just hop into my car and go where I please. Going to the bathroom is often a wake-up call for me. Taking a bath by head lamp at night, hunched over a "bacia" reminds me of how truly blessed I am and I thank God every night for allowing me to be here and to be able to fulfill a dream I've had for many years.

Another principle that I am learning to adopt in my new life as a Peace Corps trainee and as a resident of Namaacha is to find pleasure in the small things. In the states it is so easy to sweat the small stuff, but when you are thrust into this world it's hard to imagine being angry about missing a movie or other trivial things when you see how hard people work just to prepare a simple meal.

I see now what our trainers were talking about when they said that Mozambicans take great pride in their appearances. They enjoy looking good, and working hard to improve their lives. I was speaking to my "Avo" [grandmother], who is really my neighbor, and she was explaining that it takes a lot to make a meal, but she didnt mind because she knows that everything she eats is natural and without chemicals. We are so quick to grab "fast food" and are steadily gaining weight while these people we consider less fortunate are enjoying the freshest fruits and veggies often right out of their own yards.

As I sit here and reflect on my journey thus far I begin to recognize that Pre-Service Training (PST) really has two parts: on one hand we are in Portuguese lessons and Community Development sessions all day, and on the other in the evening we are learning customs and recipes and other valuable lessons on basic and organic happiness.

So far I've learned how to prepare couve (a leafy green similar to collards) and have come to fall in love with my family (and also with the cute little chickens that run around everywhere). I have a basic grasp of beginner , conversational Portuguese and have realized that "winter" in Africa is really just a word LOL.

Ate Logo and as always I Come with PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment